Spiced Gingerbread Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mashed, very ripe banana (1 small - medium)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of half an orange (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or 2% dairy)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Maple Vanilla Glaze (optional)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease lightly with butter or non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, use the back of a fork to mash the banana together with the egg until completely combined and only small lumps remain.
Use a spatula to stir in the vanilla, orange zest (optional), spices and salt.
Add the oil, molasses and milk; stirring until completely combined between adding each ingredient.
Add the sugars and stir to combine.
Add the baking powder and baking soda and stir until completely combined.
Fold in the flour until just mixed; taking care to not over mix.
Use a cookie scoop to divide the batter evenly between the 12 cups; about 3/4 full.
Bake for 10 minutes at 400°F and then reduce heat to 375°F, turn the muffin pan 180° and continue to bake 7-9 more minutes.
Bake until the tops are set and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the muffins.
Let cool in the muffin tins for about 5 minutes, then glaze (optional) and serve slightly warm, or transfer to a baking rack to cool completely and frost (optional).
Maple Vanilla Glaze Instructions
In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar and milk until the glaze is smooth and creamy.
Add more or less milk to create a thicker or thinner consistency as preferred (taking note that you will be adding more liquid in the next step).
Stir in the pure maple syrup and pure vanilla extract.
If glazing - while spiced gingerbread muffins are still warm, dip the tops of each muffin in the glaze; set on cookie sheet to cool and harden.
If frosting - wait for the spiced gingerbread muffins to cool completely, then use a knife to spread frosting on tops.
- If you make this recipe, kindly take a pic and hashtag it #goldenmuffins #nicherecipes and leave a comment below — we love to see your creations on Instagram, Twitter or even YouTube!
- Have a recipe or photo you would like to submit for inclusion? ...drop us a line.