Spiced Apple and Chickpea Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- non-stick cooking spray
- raw sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Line sixteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper liners and lightly coat bake cups with cooking spray.
In a bowl stir together all-purpose flour, baking powder, apple pie spice and salt.
Add apples to flour mixture and toss gently to coat.
In another bowl combine eggs, brown sugar, chickpeas, yogurt, applesauce and butter (or margarine).
Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle tops lightly with raw sugar (optional).
Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack 5 minutes.
Remove muffins from muffin cups and serve warm.
- If you make this recipe, kindly take a pic and hashtag it #goldenmuffins #nicherecipes and leave a comment below — we love to see your creations on Instagram, Twitter or even YouTube!
- Have a recipe or photo you would like to submit for inclusion? ...drop us a line.