Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat or white flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup minuature dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vanilla or plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup extremely ripe bananas (2-3)
Preheat oven 350°F.
Generously coat a 12 muffin tins with cooking spray and then dust the cavities with cocoa powder - paper liners are not recommend for this recipe.
Remove 1 tablespoon of the 1 cup of flour.
In a small bowl, toss together the flour (minus the 1 tablespoon), cornstarch, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and both types of chocolate chips and stir.
Make sure your bananas are at their very ripest (black skins are best; see post to speed up the ripening process if not all the way ripe.) Remove the skins and mash the bananas extremely well.
In another bowl, briskly whisk together the egg and yogurt. Stir in the melted coconut oil (slightly cooled, but measure in it's melted state), vanilla extract, brown sugar, and the extremely ripe mashed bananas.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until JUST combined. Over-mixing results in denser muffins.
Separate the batter evenly among the muffin tins.
Bake for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a muffin.
Allow to cool and then remove from the muffin tin. (Use a butter knife to cut around the edges and help pull them out!)
You can store the finished muffins in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and when ready to enjoy, micro-wave for a few seconds.
Eat as-is, spread with butter, or for a peanut butter chocolate flavor spread a bit of peanut butter on the muffin and enjoy!
To speed up ripening of bananas place them on a tray and bake at 350°F for 6-12 minutes. Depends on how ripe they were when started. Black skin means ready.The dark chocolate chips is purely for a healthier option. If you don't like dark chocolate feel free to use milk chocolate or semi-sweet!
- If you make this recipe, kindly take a pic and hashtag it #goldenmuffins #nicherecipes and leave a comment below — we love to see your creations on Instagram, Twitter or even YouTube!
- Have a recipe or photo you would like to submit for inclusion? ...drop us a line.